Raspberry & Apricot Linzers
A table full of desserts is probably the best part of the food spread in my opinion of Thanksgiving. The turkey will make you sleepy, but the sugar cookies will keep you up smiling and dancing (or maybe that’s just my reaction). This year I’m spending Thanksgiving with my husband’s family, and I figured what better way to share my love and thanks than through cookies. I took my baking skills up a notch and made…
Raspberry and Apricot Linzers
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
6 tsp raspberry or apricot preserves
Gather 2 bowls. In the 1st bowl, combine flour, almond meal and salt. In the 2nd bowl, altogether beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes until fluffy. Then, beat in the egg and almond extract. Pour flour mixture into the sugar and egg mixture and combine. Work dough briefly with hands and form 2 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
1. Take the dough from the fridge and roll it out to about 1/8- inch thickness and cut out your shapes.
2. On half of the shapes, use a smaller cookie cutter to cut out the center.
3. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool completely before the next step.
4. Separate the tops from the bottoms and dust confectioner sugar to the cut out tops (use a sifter if you have one).
5. Spread a spoonful of Raspberry and Apricot preserves on the bottom cookie (non-cutouts).